Tamoxifen, which is the generic substitute of Nolvadex, is classified as an antineoplastic drug is used in the treatment of breast cancer. The drugs work by blocking the estrogen that facilitates the growth of breast cancer. The drug is used by both male and female. The cost of Tamoxifen is determined by the use of the discount card as Drugs.com across most US pharmacies.
A 10 mg Tamoxifen’s oral tablet sells at $18 when you buy a packet of 60 tablets but this is dependent on the pharmacy visited. The prices exclude those purchasing through an insurance cover. 30* 20mg Tamoxifen tablets costs$18.43. The table below shows the different prices of Tamoxifen drugs.
Prices of Tamoxifen Tablets
The price of Tamoxifen can be affected by the below factors:
- Availability of Tamoxifen coupons as well as discounts; these can be accessed via a website, filling in a questionnaire, getting free samples or even registering to get one.
- Tamoxifen’s assistance programs for patients; these originate from pharmaceutical companies and are geared towards low-income earners, those who are not insured and the underinsured. These offers come in form of either free or medicines sold at a discount.
What if I Don’t Take Tamoxifen?
Tamoxifen is the only approved drug to aid in preventing breast cancer to those who are prone to it due to known risk factors. The other breast cancer drug Raloxifene can only be administered to women who are in the postmenopausal stage of life. The main purpose of this drug is to block the growth of cancer cells. If you choose not to take Tamoxifen and opt for other alternatives like:
- Raloxifene: this drug whose trade name is Evista aids in blocking estrogen and can be an alternative to Tamoxifen. Evista blocks estrogen receptors activation within the breast cells to protect against the signaling of estrogen. This drug is, however, is only for women who are past the age of menopause. A woman taking this drug is prone to getting blood clots.
Photo of Raloxifene hydroxifene hydrochloride 60 mg package
- Anastrozole: the drug goes by the name Arimidex and can also be used in place of Tamoxifen. It is classified as an aromatase inhibitor and also inhibits production of estrogen. It is recommended for use by women in the postmenopausal stage to ensure that breast cancer does not recur. Anastrozole inhibits the main proteins that aids in the synthesis of estrogen thus bringing the level of estrogen down. The side effects of using this drug include weakening of the bones, deterioration of prevailing cardiovascular conditions and nausea.
- Medroxyprogesterone Acetate: this drug goes by the trade name Provera which works in the same way as progesterone hormone to signal breast cells. How this drug works in its fight against cancer is unknown but it is perceived to kill cancer cells directly or disrupt estrogen.
Provera tablets package
The Average Cost of Tamoxifen’s Presence in the Body System
Besides being a great relief to people suffering from breast cancer, women who take this drug have to pay the cost of these benefits. This is by persevering some of the side effects that come with using Tamoxifen which includes:
- Vaginal bleeding.
- A loss in weight or gaining more weight.
- Feeling light-headed.
- Having vaginal discharge.
- Hot flushes.
- Feeling tired.
- Clotting of blood.
- Abnormal liver tests.
- Irregular periods.
- Pain in the back region.
- Brain fog as well as poor concentration.
- Painful intercourse as a result of thinning of vaginal tissues.
Tamoxifen medication can be taken for as long as ten years and a person have to endure all the side effects in order to increase the chances of being completely free from cancer cells. A person should, therefore, be willing to pay the cost of enduring every challenge that comes with Tamoxifen. A lot of women today are opting to stay off Tamoxifen when they look at the above list as some of these side effects are a real threat to life.
How to Lower the Monthly Cost of Tamoxifen
Cancer treatment is quite expensive and considering that the drugs will be taken for at least five years, there is need to look for ways to minimize the cost of buying these drugs. Below are some mechanisms one can adapt to achieve this:
- Choose the option of generic medicine; consult with your doctor if it is possible to use generics which are cheaper instead of the expensive drugs. For instance, you may choose Naproxen instead of Naprosyn as a pain reliever.
- Ask the doctor if samples of the drugs you are supposed to take are available; this will help you to determine if the drugs will work for you or if they have any adverse reactions. If samples are unavailable you may choose to buy a fraction of the prescription to test the effectiveness of the drugs.
- Opt to take tablets in place of any other form of medication; tablets are the cheapest form of medication and if your doctor agrees to it, you will have saved up on the cost.
- Go for window shopping; compare prices in different pharmacies and choose the most pocket-friendly.
- Ensure you do not fall for those who sell counterfeit as this will make you dig deeper into your pocket to buy other drugs.
The cost of cancer treatment is becoming more expensive by the day, a cost one has to persevere as it necessary to survive. It is, however, advisable to be on the lookout for ways you can save up on the cost of treatment. Get to know the places you can access drugs at a cheaper price. Tamoxifen may have a lot of side effects but the fact is that it has played a very vital role in the lives of cancer survivors. Five years may seem like a long time to be on constant medication but if it will help to prolong the life of a cancer survivor, one has to bear it. Do not shy away if you experience side effects that may be a threat to your life. Ensure too that the drugs you buy are genuine as counterfeit will add more harm to your body and make you incur more costs. Remember to look out for our list of Top Online Pharmacies to get quality medication at a reasonable price.